River Creek History

River Creek is a planned community in Loudoun County, Virginia. It is recognized as the first gated country club community in the Washington, D.C. metropolitan area. River Creek is a joint venture project of The Tower Companies, Montgomery Development, and ClubCorp USA, Inc. The community welcomed its first residents in 1997. The last new homes built in the community were completed in the 2008-2009 timeframe.

River Creek was once the site of numerous sprawling plantation estates on the Potomac River beginning in the 18th century and lasting until the 1960s. The area was originally known as Edward’s Ferry and because of its location on the Potomac River, it has played a vital role throughout American history.

In August 1814, during the War of 1812 when the United States government was temporarily moved to Leesburg, patrols of American soldiers and Virginia Militia kept guard against the threat of further British advance up the Potomac Valley.

In and around the current River Creek property during the American Civil War, the Battle of Ball’s Bluff occurred on October 21, 1861. The golf course is located on top of where Union troops came ashore and skirmished with Confederate troops in the Edward’s Ferry portion of the battle. Artifacts from River Creek’s over two hundred years of history are on display at its Community Information Center.